Client: Mersey Fire & Rescue
Project Value: £70k
Project Completion: May 2013
Project Manager: Paul Cooper
The work at St Helen’s Community Fire station was to complete a refurbishment of the Boiler House for improved operational efficiency, greater reliability and lower running costs. The original building on Parr Stocks Road opened in 1959.
The challenge for the job was to ensure that the gas and hot water supplies remained operational throughout the six-week project to ensure the fire service staff were not left without gas for cooking and hot water for showers and washing facilities. To make this easier, the work was carried out during the summer months when the demand for heating was negligible.
The three new boilers installed were Viessmann Vitodens 200 wall-hung condensing boilers rated at 105kW each. The modular format allowed much greater operational efficiency than the old cast iron boilers they replaced. The team on site didn’t believe they dated all the way back to the original build in 1959, but they were certainly well over 20 years old and operating inefficiently.
The existing hot water generator was also upgraded to a new Andrews 65/173 high flow gas-fired water heater.
New flues were installed to meet the much more stringent standards required and a dosing system was added to keep the system running well during its life. Finally, the design of the new system introduced zoned heating controls and a BMS to manage the system overall.
The Newly built St. Helens Fire Station, back in 1959.